WOMENS EMPOWERMENT THROUGH TRAINING IN AGRICULTURAL SKILLS –A WORLD SITUATIONAL REVIEW
Government of India in its agriculture reforms has initiated a scheme entitled ”Support to State Extension Programmes”. The major guiding principles of the scheme are as:
- Reforming State Agricultural Extension.
- Promoting private sector to compliment and supplement public extension system.
- Augment media and information technology.
- Empowerment of women through mainstreaming gender issues.
- Capacity building /skilled up-gradation of farmers and farm women.
In this scheme the state level training institute of all the states were upgraded as autonomous State Agriculture Management and Extension Training Institute (SAMETI). Various participatory mode of extension activities were conducted in selected modal villages. Various Kissan Melas, Kissan Awareness Programmes, Kissan Call Centres were established and publications have been circulated among the farmers free of cost. During the last few years many projects have been initiated in consultation with NGOs like Aga Khan Foundation, Border Security Force and other NGOs. Today’s Farm Women Conference has the objectives of empowerment of the women through organizing trainings in collaboration with KVKs, NGOs, Self Help Groups etc.
Read the complete article from Source