- July 26, 1957: Given title of “His Highness” by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
- August 12, 1957 Was awarded the “Brilliant Star of Zanzibar” by the Sultan of Zanzibar.
- October 1959: “His Royal Highness” by Shahin-Shah of Iran.
- October 27, 1960: Conferred the honour of “Grand Cross of the Order of Prince Henry” by the Portuguese Government.
- August 4, 1965: The President of Ivory Coast decorated Prince Karim Aga Khan with the highest order of the nation, the “Grand Cross of the National Order”.
- August 5, 1965: At Ougadougou, capital of Upper Volta, The President conferred on him the highest national title, the “National Order”.
- November 15, 1966: Held discussions with President Philibert Tsiranana of the Malagasy Republic decorated him with the country’s highest honour, the “Grand Cross of the National Order of Malagasy Republic”.
- November 20, 1966: President Syed Mohammed Sheikh of the Comoros conferred the “Grand Cross of the Green Crescent”
- January 1970: Decorated by President Yahya Khan of Pakistan with the “Nishan-e-Imtiaz”
- December 8, 1977: Invested with the “Order of the Knight of the Grand Cross” by the Prime Minister of Italy, Mr, Guilio Andreotti.
- 1978: Received the Gran Croce della Republica Italiana, an honour normally reserved for heads of state, in recognition of his contribution to tourism development in Italy. The Aga Khan is the first Muslim and one of the few foreigners to be so honoured.
- November 25, 1986: In Rabat, King Hassan II of Morocco conferred the honour of “Le Grand Cordon de l’Ordre du Trone Cherifien” (Quissam Al-Arch) the highest Moroccan title.
- October 26, 1988: Was honoured by Italy’s President Francesco Cossiga when he was presented with the country’s highest honour, the Cavaliere del Lavoro at a ceremony in Rome.
- November 7, 1990: President Francois Mitterand of France presented him with the award of “Commander of the Legion d’Honneur”, the highest honour established by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1802.
- November 22, 1991: King Juan Carlos of Spain presentedhim with the Gran Cruz de Merito Civil at a ceremony at Zarzuela Palace in Madrid.
- September 22, 1998: Tajik President Emomali Rakhmonov awarded The Aga Khan with the Order of Friendship
- July 11, 1998: The Aga Khan was invested with the Grand Cross of the Order of Merit by President Jorge Sampaio of Portugal
- December 31, 2003: The Aga Khan receives the KBE Order of the British Empire
- June 6, 2005: His Highness the Aga Khan is appointed as Honorary Companion of the Order of Canada by Her Excellency the Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson, Governor General of Canada.
Key of the City
- March 17, 1962: The Mayor and Town Council of Arzachena (Sardinia) made him an Honorary Citizen of the Town.
- August 4, 1965: The Mayor of Abidjan conferred the honour of “Freeman of Abidjan” and presented him with the “Golden Key” to the city.
- November 15, 1966: Was presented with the Golden Key to the Town of Majunga (in Malagasy Republic) by the Mayor.
- April 4, 1980 Mayor of Lahore presented him the Freedom of the City of Lahore.
- February 15, 1981: Mayor Abdul Sattar Afghani of Karachi presented him with the “Key of Karachi City”.
- June 1991: Received the Huesped de Honor de Granada from the Mayor of Granada.
- September 21, 1992: Was invested with the Honorary citizenship of the city of Samarkand by the Mayor Aziz Nasirov and Governor Palat Majidovich Abdur Rakhmanov.
- December 17, 1996: Received the Key to the City of Lisbon, Portugal.
- June 6, 2005: Received the Key to the City of Ottawa, Canada.
- November 30, 1967: Was given honorary Doctorate of Law (Honoris Causa) by Peshawar University.
- February 6, 1970: Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws was conferred by Sind University, Jamshoro
- November 1, 1983: Honorary Degree of the Doctorate of Laws McGill University, November 1, 1983
- May 15, 1987: Conferred with an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws (LLD) by McMaster University at Hamilton
- October 11, 1989: Received an honorary degree of Doctorate of Literature in Education from the University of London (Logan Hall). Her Royal Highness, Princess Anne, Chancellor of the University, conferred the Degree during the Founders Day Convocation ceremony.
- November 30, 1993: Was conferred with Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws (LL.D) from the University of Wales by the Chancellor of the University, the Prince of Wales.
- May 27, 1996: Hazar Imam was invested with the honorary degree of LL.D by Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island.
- June 18, 2004: University of Toronto confers honorary degree of ‘Doctor of Laws’ on the Aga Khan
- July, 1981: Awarded “Honorary Membership” of Pakistan Medical Association.
- February 1970: Pakistan army paid him the honour of making him Honorary Colonel of the 6th Lancers.
- February 15, 1981: Honorary Membership awarded by Pakistan Medical Association, Sind.
- 1985: The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Pakistan conferred the honorary fellowship of the College of Physicians and Surgeons
- January 13, 1962: Won the “Roberts of Kandhar” challenge cup at Davos, Switzerland, the oldest challenge cup in the world for downhill ski racing.
- 1987: King Juan Carlos presented Hazar Imam with the “Medalla del Oro del Consojo Superior de Colegios de Arquitectos”, at a ceremony at the Royal Palace in the presence of members of the Spanish Architectural Association.
- 1980: The School of Nursing of the Aga Khan Hospital and Medical College in Karachi won an “Award of Excellence” from the Boston Society of Architects.
- April 7, 1982: Received The Gold Mercury “AD PERSONAM” Award
- March 23, 1983 -Received Pakistan’s highest Civil Award: The Nishan in Order of Pakistan -by President Zia-ul-Haq”
- April 13,1984: Was honoured as Patron of Architecture and became the 19th recipient of the Thomas Jefferson Architecture Award, at the university of Virginia.
- 1991: Received the Medaille d’Argent of the Academie d’Architecture de France.
- October 25, 1996: Received the Prestigious Hadrian Award from the World Monument Fund.
- June 7, 2001: Aga Khan receives the prestigious Archon Award from the International Nursing Honour Society, Sigma Theta Tau International.
- January 22, 2005: The Smithsonian Institution’s National Building Museum presented its annual Vincent Scully Prize to Aga Khan IV.
Exclusive Data for The Ismaili News
Contributed by Mr. Farooq Ali